Relocation-moving away with children

If you want to move with your child(ren), the other parent’s permission will be required if:

  • the move would mean that the time the child(ren) spends with the other parent would be more difficult to arrange; or
  • there are Court Orders that say a parent can’t move or relocate.

Whether or not you can move with your child(ren) depends on where you want to move and what proposals you make for the other parent to see your child(ren). For example, moving to a different suburb has different consequences than if you move to a new state. You will often hear this kind of action referred to as “Relocation Proceedings”.

Download the NQWLS Relocation – Moving away with children factsheet